A floor that is safe for your family seems like a simple thing to ask for, right? Over the last few years there have been a lot of reports on the news regarding the off-gassing of chemicals, like formaldehyde, in the floors we install into our homes. Along with that there has been a lot of consumer confusion and misinformation on the subject.
Here are the 5 things you need to know about formaldehyde and flooring.
All laminate and hardwood floors contain formaldehyde. Formaldehyde is a naturally-occurring organic compound that is present in a lot of things including trees. What is important to know as a consumer is the level of formaldehyde that you floor contains and what is acceptable. Formaldehyde Wiki Link
- California has created their own standard called CA-CARB Phase 2 compliant. This is not however a U.S. standard, but is becoming consumer demanded. California Environmental Protection Agency Link
- There is also a European standard call EO & E1. Depending on where the product is going to be primarily sold some flooring products will have this testing done instead of a CA-CARB Phase 2 testing. Eurofins Testing Link
- Flooring products manufactured oversees (China or other regions) can be just as safe as flooring products made in the United States. It is important to understand who you are buying your flooring from, who manufactured the flooring and what those companies did to ensure their products where tested and passed their tests.
- Responsible companies will have their flooring products tested by third-party labs to ensure quality.
TAS Flooring cares about providing safe, premium quality flooring. We are consistently looking for the next solution for all of our customers’ needs that meet our company’s seal of approval.
- We meet in person at least once a year to discuss manufacturing standards and require each factory partner to sign agreements ensuring our specification requirements will be met.
- We hire our own employees in China to monitor and inspect our factories for quality and compliance standards.
- Our factories test our materials randomly during all steps of the manufacturing process (at least every 3 months). They each have full laboratory facilities and provide reports.
- We supply products from the United States, China, South Korea and Taiwan. We hold all of our partners to the same high standards.
- All of our products are CA-CARB Phase II compliant, FloorScore certified and/or CRI Green Label Plus certified depending on that products requirements. Look for these icons on our website.
- We use a third-party testing facility located in the United States to verify the specifications we ask for are met.